I love a good salad, so when I cooked this one and failed to take a decent picture I umm’d and ahh’d about whether I would post it since the perfectionist in me didn’t think it was up to scratch. But after Miss Mrs B, for whom I made the salad asked for the recipe, I thought it was worth posting.
Mrs B asked me to make a couple of salads for herself and a few friends for a dinner party she was hosting the week before she was due to get married. Around the time I was trying to work out what to make, I visited Collective Espresso in Camberwell for lunch and had an amazing chicken and grain salad. I knew it would be perfect for Mrs B, and so was inspired to create something similar.
The end result is an interesting mix of grains and chicken, with a light lemon and olive oil dressing, perfect for a light but sustaining lunch or dinner. These days you can find freekeh and cracked wheat at Woolworths in the health food section, and the black rice with the regular stuff.
120g cracked wheat
60g black rice
2 tbsp + 1/2 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
100g pickled ginger, larger slices halved
300g tinned chic peas, drained
1/2 rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup greek yoghurt
salt & pepper
sumac & sesame seeds, to serve
- Wash freekeh, cracked wheat and black rice separately. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan and add the freekeh. Toss to coat and cook for 3 minutes until nutty. Add a pinch of salt, cover with water and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 45 mins or until just tender, keeping the water topped up if needed. Drain well and run under cold water. Drain again and set aside.
- Place rice and cracked wheat in separate saucepans and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt to each and bring to the boil. Cook until just tender, about 15 minutes, keeping the water topped up if needed. Drain well and run under cold water. Drain again and set aside.
- In a small jar, combine lemon juice and 1/2 cup olive oil and season to taste.
- Pull the skin off the chicken and discard. Pull the meat from the bones and shred into bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the freekeh, cracked wheat, rice, parsley, rocket, ginger, chic peas and chicken. Pour over the lemon and olive oil dressing, season with salt and pepper, and toss well.
- To serve, spread the greek yoghurt over a serving plate. Top with salad, and sprinkle over sumac and sesame seeds.