To save money (and stay a little healthier), I cook my lunch and take it to work. When I find time on the weekend, I make up a large batch of this chicken provencal and freeze it in take away containers so that they’re on hand when I am short on time.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 stick celery, diced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
3 sprigs rosemary
1 tsp dry thyme
500g boneless chicken thighs (keep the bones in if you wish and pick them out when it’s cooked. I just find boneless saves time)
2 tins diced tomatoes
250ml chicken stock
1 can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper
- Heat oil a large casserole dish over medium heat, then add onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic, rosemary and thyme and stir to combine.
- Add chicken thighs and cook for a few minutes until sealed.
- Add tomatoes and stock and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes covered and 30 minutes uncovered until chicken is falling apart and sauce is thick.
- Stir through mixed beans and season to taste.
- Allow to cool before transferring to take-away containers and freezing.
Serves 2 (or for me, makes 3 lunches!)