On the weekend, I woke up and decided I was going to make myself breakfast. After opening my fridge and discovering not much there, I scrounged together half a zucchini, some frozen peas, mint from my garden and some eggs to make this omelette. I thought it was so tasty that I would share it with all of you.
1/2 zucchini, grated
1/2 cup peas (frozen are fine)
2 tbsp fresh mint, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp grated parmesan
poached eggs, smoked salmon and lime wedges to serve
- Combine grated zucchini, peas, mint and eggs. Lightly whisk until the eggs are evenly combined. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a small frying pan and when hot (it will just begin to smoke) add the egg mixture. Adding the mixture to a hot pan will stop the mixture sticking.
- Fry for 5 minutes until beginning to come away from the edges and the bottom is golden brown.
- Sprinkle over parmesan and finish off under the grill for 5-10 minutes until cooked through – test this by gently shaking the pan. The omelette should be quite firm.
- Serve with a poached egg* and smoked salmon.
* To poach eggs, bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add a splash of vinegar (approx 1 tbsp) and use a spoon to swirl the water to create a whirlpool. Crack an egg directly in the centre and poach for 2-3 minutes for soft, or longer if you like your eggs hard. You can add a few eggs to the saucepan at a time, depending how big it is.