As with food trends, Melbourne has a rotating love affair for cocktails: 2017 was all about G&T’s, Frosé and Aperol Spritz’s, but what will 2018 have in store to refresh our palates? Here are a few of our favourite cocktail recipes to enjoy in the summer sunshine.
One for the Girls: Flirtini
1 Part Vodka
Part Champagne or Prosecco
1 Part Freshly Squeezed Pineapple Juice
- Fill a cocktail shaker or Mixing Jug with Ice.
- Stir in Vodka, Pineapple Juice and finally Champagne and stir.
- Serve in a cocktail glass
One for the Boys: Whisky Sour
2 parts Whisky – our favourite is Monkey Shoulder
1 part Lemon Juice
½ part Sugar Syrup
½ part Egg White
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Place all of the ingredients in and shake for approx 30 seconds, ensuring the egg white is mixed in sufficiently.
- Serve in a short Whisky Glass
A Classic for Everybody: Margarita
1 part Tequila – we love Mezcal Tequila
½ part Triple Sec
½ part Lime Juice
1 lime wedge
- Chill your glass by filling with ice.
- Fill a shaker or Jug with ice and all of the ingredients and shake hard for about 30 seconds to chill the liquid.
- Run a lime wedge around the outside of the rim of your glass before rolling the rim in salt.
- Strain the mix into the glass and serve
One for the Serious Liquor Drinkers: Gin Martini
1 part Vermouth
5 part Gin – make sure you buy the good stuff
Green olive or lemon rind
- Chill your cocktail glass by filling with ice.
- Add plenty of ice and the vermouth to your shaker and stir making sure the ice is coated with vermouth. Use your strainer to pour away the excess.
- Add the Gin to the shaker and stir the mixture for about 30 seconds.
- Strain into the chilled cocktail glass and garnish with either a twist of lemon peel or some green olives.