Australia Day is fast approaching, so to help you out with all those engagements you’ve got coming up, we’ve got a bunch of easy Australian recipes coming your way. Today’s recipe is for a good ‘ol Aussie favorite – lamingtons! But the twist is these ones are gluten free and studded with raspberries to take advantage of the beautiful produce we have in Australia these summer months.
The ingrediens aren’t too scary – most you can pick up from any good supermarket these days including the coconut oil and water. The coconut flour you might do a bit more searching for, but is usually readily available at health food shops.
6 free range eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
70g coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
150g frozen raspberries
100 ml coconut water
200g dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa, chopped
200g shredded coconut
- Preheat your oven to 160C. Grease and line a 23cm square cake tin.
- Whip the eggs, vanilla and honey for 10 minutes until light and airy. Add the coconut oil and mix until well combined.
- Sift in the coconut flour and baking powder and gently stir together until just combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the lined cake tin and smooth over evenly. Stud the cake mix with the raspberries at even intervals.
- Place the cake in a moderate oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when pricked into the center of the cake. Transfer cake to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, heat the coconut water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour the coconut water over the chocolate and stir until you have a smooth ganache.
- Cut the cake in half. Turn one half over and spread thinly with a little chocolate ganache. Place the second half, right side up, on top. Place cake in the fridge to set for 15 minutes.
- Cut the cake into 8 squares and brush lightly with the chocolate ganache. Roll each square in the shredded coconut and place on a tray. Place the lamingtons back in the fridge for 15 minutes to set before serving.