I’d be willing to say that most people enjoy pizza, but sadly no one seems to take the time to make their own. I’m not exactly sure why, since it’s relatively easy and you can keep all the ingredients in the cupboard on standby. It’s a great one to try if you have friends coming over – the recipe below makes 2 medium pizzas, but you could divide the dough into 4 and create a custom pizza each!
If you’ve never made dough before, this is a great place to start since it all gets covered by the toppings anyway. I’ve given you two recipes for my favourite toppings, but feel free to use whatever takes your fancy.
1 tsp sugar
7g sachet dried yeast
450g (3 cups) plain flour
1 1/2 tbs olive oil, plus extra to grease
1 1/2 tsp salt
PUMPKIN & CARAMELISED ONION TOPPING
1/3 cup pesto
1/3 cup caramelized onions (homemade or bought)
1 cup oven roasted pumpkin, diced*
100g danish feta
200g grated mozzarella
50g fresh rocket
PROSCIUTTO & BUFFALO MOZZARELLA TOPPING
1/3 cup tomato pasta sauce
2 large buffalo mozzarella
8 slices of prosciutto
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and 375ml lukewarm water (just warm to the touch). Sprinkle over the yeast and allow to sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the mixture should form bubbles. If not, your yeast is dead and you will need to start again with fresh yeast.
- In a separate, large bowl, sift the flour with salt. Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture and olive oil. Using your hands, gradually incorporate the liquid into the flour to create a dough.
- Once the dough is roughly formed, turn it out onto a floured benchtop and knead until smooth. Lightly grease a large bowl with some extra olive oil and place dough in the bowl. Cover with greased cling wrap and leave to rest in a warm spot for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 230C or the maximum temperature. Brush two 30cm trays with olive oil.
- Once dough has rested, punch the dough down with your fist and divide equally in half. Roll out into two pizza bases and lay one flat on each tray. Allow to rest for 10 minutes while you prepare the toppings.
- PUMPKIN & CARAMELISED ONION: Spread 1 base with pesto, spoon over caramelised onions and pumpkin, crumble over feta and finish with mozarella. Once cooked, serve with fresh rocket.
- PROSCIUTTO & BUFFALO MOZZARELLA: Spread 1 base with pasta sauce, lay over the prosciutto slices, break mozzarella into small pieces and scatter over prosciutto, and finish with a few basil leaves.
- Once your pizza is ready, bake in a really hot oven for 15 minutes until golden.
*For the oven roasted pumpkin, just peel and deseed 1/2 a small butternut pumpkin and cut into 1-2cm cubes. Place on and oven tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook in a moderate oven (180C) until just golden and tender, about 30 minutes.
Makes 2 medium pizzas / Serves 4