Best Banana Muffins

Everyone in our house loves bananas, especially my Mum. Even when they were at $15 a kilo she was still buying a huge bunch of them every week. Yesterday, however, I heard a report that prices were about to drop as supply levels had all but been replenished. Horay! So I thought this was the perfect time to share with you my best banana muffins recipe. In our house, a perfect banana is slightly green, so as soon as a few black spots begin to appear, they are left to rot. So what then to do with a bunch of mushy, black bananas otherwise destined for the bin? Make muffins! The riper the better. I often put the odd overripe banana in the freezer until I accumulate a few to make a batch of these. They thaw out in about half an hour on the bench, so in under an hour you can have a beautiful batch of home made banana muffins!

3 very overripe bananas
1/4 cup caster sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 egg
1/2 cup canola oil (or any other plain flavoured oil)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 180C.
  2. Line a muffin tray with paper liners, or alternatively, oil or butter each individual muffin hole.
  3. In a bowl, use a fork to mash the bananas. Add in the sugar, honey, egg and oil and mix together until well combined.
  4. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt and gently stir until everything is just combined.
  5. Spoon mixture evenly into each of the paper liners or holes about 3/4 of the way up. Bake in a moderate oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.
  6. Cool on a wire rack and keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Makes 8

About these ads
This entry was posted in Dessert/Sweet, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Best Banana Muffins

1. Love a great banana recipe like yours. Honey adds a nice accent to it. Will give that a try!

2. Will definitely try yours looks yummy and gorgeous!!!

3. Looks so good! I love the pink stripe wrappers on them…beautiful and fun!

4. evana says:

I just made these with my children (3 & 18months)…delicious!!!

5. Pingback: Humingbird Cake | the MELBOURNE FOOD FILES

6. Sarah says:

Just popped a batch of these in the oven. If they taste as good cooked as they do raw I will be in banana muffin heaven!

7. Lauren says:

I have found my new favourite muffin recipe after searching for ages! They turned out really moist and light. Thanks :)

• Sarah says:

Oh Lauren I am soo happy to hear this!! We make banana muffins A LOT at our place and this is a tried and tested recipe! Glad you like it :)

8. Dace Elletson says:

I’m just eating one of these delicious warm muffins now. Don’t hesitate, they’re amazing!

9. Annette says:

Have just pulled these out the oven OMG so good, very light muffin. I tried Maple syrup instead of honey, fantastic flavour!

10. Rachael of Brisbane says:

These are fantastic – I added some dutch cinnamon. So light and fluffy and crunchy on top – what a good muffin should be. Thanks for the recipe.

11. Jess says:

Do these ingredients make 12 regular sized muffins, or Texas sized ones? They look fab!

12. Just baked a batch – perfect!
    So light and fluffy.

13. Karen Horsnell says:

Thank you so much for sharing. The muffins are amazing! Soft and light on the inside and crunchie just on the top. Perfect! :)

14. Laura says:

I crushed up a handful of frozen raspberries into mine and I have them for brekkie with nutella. Sooo good.

15. Elle says:

Im about to try your recipe and believe it will be the best recipe Ive tried. Will have to double for our hungry bunch.
    x

16. Alex says:

I made these with some dark chocolate pieces mixed through – delicious!

17. These muffins are soooo delicious. I have just baked them with slight modification ( I replaced some part of flour with cornflour) and they turned out really great :-) Thanks for sharing the recipe with us :-)

18. Jos says:

Do we use plain or sr flour?

19. Elizabeth says:

Hi, just thought I’d share some substitutes I used for this recipe as I did a gluten free version which was a hit with the coeliacs and non GF family members!
    Instead of caster sugar and honey I used golden syrup, 1 cup plain flour, 1/2 cup almond meal and some cacao powder, as I had a hankering for chocolate. They were delicious and moist with a little crunch on top. Thanks for the recipe!!

20. Kirsty says:

Thankyou! Needed a good, no fuss recipe and this delivers. Whole family loved them and that crunch you get on the top…..delicious!