Time for part two of my Scandinavian Christmas Eve celebrations (click here for part one).. After a few wines and smörgås, my family, friends and I sat down to enjoy a traditional Scandinavian Smörgåsbord, similar to what we had the year before.
Traditionally, you begin by eating the fish dishes. This year, I made salmon gravlax (as I do every year!), Jansson’s temptation (potatoes with anchovies), and bought a range of marinated herring, including matjes herring, dill herring, onion herring and mustard herring.
Next comes the meat dishes. This year, I made my own Swedish meatballs which I served alongside some mini pork sausages, red cabbage, a crunchy vegetable salad (from Jamie Oliver’s book Jamie Does), and a selection of ham and cheeses which I served with mustard and rye bread.
To finish, my younger sister E helped out by making a batch of cardamom coffee buns, also known as kanelbullar. I love these, and ate them for breakfast every morning until they were all gone!
|CHRISTMAS EVE SMÖRGÅSBORD MENU
Cardamom Coffee Buns
1kg pork & veal mince
1/2 cup soda water
2 brown onions, finely grated
1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp garlic salt
oil and butter for frying
- Combine all ingredients, except for oil and shape into 50 small meatballs.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Add a small nob of butter, and fry meatballs on all side until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Keep warm.
- Serve warm with lingonberry jam.
Makes 50 meatballs / Serves 8 as part of a smörgåsbord / Serves 6-8 as a meal
(recipe by Jamie Oliver)
2 small carrots, peeled
1 red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
1 bulb baby fennel, finely sliced
6 small radishes, quartered
1 bunch fresh dill
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1 tbsp white vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt and sugar
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and scrape out the seeds. Cut into small half circles and place in a large bowl. Using a peeler, peel strips of carrot and combine add to cucumber.
- Place remaining ingredients in the bowl and toss well.
Serves 12 as part of a smörgåsbord / Serves 8 as a meal
SWEDISH CARDAMOM COFFE BUNS
80g fresh yeast (available from the bakery)
500ml warm milk
200g demerara sugar
150g soft butter
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cardamom
80g soft butter
1/2 cup demerara sugar
3 tbsp each cinnamon and cardamom
1 egg, roughly beaten with 1/2 tsp water
pearl sugar (substitute with demerara if unavailable)
- Crumble yeast into warm milk and stir until it dissolves. Add eggs and gently combine before adding half the flour. Leave to proof, covered, for one hour.
- Add the remaining flour, sugar, butter, salt and cardamom and work into a smooth dough. Add a little more flour if the batter is too sticky. Transfer to a clean bowl and leave again to proof for 30 minutes.
- FILLING: Divide the dough in half and roll each into a large rectangle. Spread each with the butter for the filling and sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and cardamom. With the long edge facing you, roll each rectangle into a tight roll and cut each roll into about 20 pieces. Place each piece in a paper cup and transfer to a baking tray. Cover and leave to proof for 30 minutes.
- DECORATION: Brush each bun with the roughly beaten egg and sprinkle over pearl sugar.
- Bake at 250°C for 6-8 minutes, until golden.