In a previous post, I wrote about how my older Sister-A had recently moved out of home. Over the weekend, I was in a baking mood, and so I decided to make her and her new housemates a brocoli and feta tart (I figured they would enjoy it more than anyone!). I had originally envisioned using asparagus, as I love how the spears look all lined up. But as I couldn’t find any, I decided to use broccoli.
1 1/2 cups plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1/4 cup grated parmesan, plus extra
1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tsp salt
2 eggs in separate bowls, lightly beaten
1 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/4 cup cream (or milk)
1 bunch brocollini, stems cut to 8cm
100g danish feta
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a food processor, process flour, butter, parmesan, cayenne pepper and salt until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Add 1 of the lightly beaten eggs and process until it comes together in a ball. Transfer to a floured bench top and knead until it all holds together. Roll into a ball and cover in cling wrap. Refrigerate for half an hour while you make the filling.
- To make the filling, heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to a bowl and whisk together with eggs and cream and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When dough has rested, roll out onto a floured kitchen bench to form a rectangle 2-3 mm thick.
- Using the rolling pin, roll dough up and then gentle unroll onto a rectangular tart tin about 30cm x 12cm. Press down into tin and trim off edges.
- Line shell with baking paper and fill with pie weights or raw rice. Bake in a moderate oven for 15 minutes until beginning to brown. Remove weights and brush with a little of the remaining lightly beaten egg (add leftover beaten egg to the filling mixture). Place the tart shell back in the oven for a further 5 minutes until golden. Allow shell to cool slightly before adding filling.
- Pour filling into the pastry shell, and arrange brocollini in rows over the egg mix. Crumble over feta, sprinkle with a little extra parmesan and bake in a moderate oven for 30-40 minutes until the center is firm.
- Serve hot or cold with salad.